Articles - Power Generator Load
07/21/2013
External Reference:
Model Tech Studios makes this interesting load consisting of two power generators. The kit consists mostly of resin castings, some wood and cardboard parts, and some thread for simulating hold-down rigging. The photo below shows the content of the kit. Two units comfortably fit on a 40-foot flat car.
Power Generator Load
The next photo shows the basic layout of the parts. The cardboard piece fits on the wooden cribbing, and the generator itself is built out of the set of resin castings.
Power Generator Load
There is quite a bit of stubborn flash on the parts, so I had to take my time to clear that off. There is also a bit of a slit in the corner of the part. It is on both generators, so I presume there is a flaw in the master and/or mold. I used a file and a knife to keep whittling away at the flash. When I was happy with the parts, I glued the radiator to the bottom piece. There is nothing to hold it in place, so I used thick superglue, and just had to hold it for a minute or two. The generator itself fits in between the small protrusions. I just placed a couple of drops of the superglue on the bottom of the generator and then pressed it into place. I used some Bondo filler to fill in the holes that I found in the castings.
Power Generator Load
The wood tie-downs and the cardboard bottom were glued to each other using white glue. I then used superglue to glue the cardboard to the bottom of the generator part. Next, I used Krylon Gray Primer to spray paint the entire part. These two photos show a close-up of the parts. There is quite a bit of detail in them.
Power Generator Load Power Generator Load
I searched online for what color these types of generators might be painted. It seemed to vary across the board. Usually they are some bright color. I presume that the color makes them look new, and makes them noticeable at the factory installations, presumably for safety reasons. I wanted to paint mine a yellow. I was going to just hand-paint them. When I started, the paint turned out to have gone bad. By then I had put a good bit of paint on one of them. It was a Polly Scale paint, so I could wash it off with water and soap, quickly, before it fully set. In the process the cardboard piece got wet. Also, several of the wooden tie-downs broke off (they are very fragile because of the way they are cut out). In the end it turned into a horrible mess. I got rid of the cardboard and the wooden tie-downs altogether. After letting everything dry for a day or so, I used Floquil's NYC Jade Green and the airbrush to paint the parts. That went much better, and the results are better, too. Overall, I am happy with the parts. As with the other Model Tech Studios load I have built, I put the metal wire and thread in the junk bin, because they are too small to be used in S-scale. The generators make for an interesting load on one of my flat cars.
Power Generator Load
Here is a photo of the generators on a PRR FM flat car. I still need to add the rigging that holds them in place. The loads are not glued to the car. I don't know if I want to do that.
Power Generator Load