I wanted a single container for all of my drill bits, and to have them nicely organized. A few years ago I built this nice wooden board out of two pieces of plywood. Once the glue dried I used a disk sander to form the curves and corners of the board. The plywood was then edge-veneered, stained, and lacquered.
To change it into a drillbit stand, all I had to do was drill holes. Lots of holes. I used yellow masking tape on which I marked the lines and wrote down the sizes. The tape also helps the plywood's top veneer from splintering. I then went to my drill press and drilled each of the holes. That took about an hour or so. The key here is to drill the hole for a drillbit using the next-larger drillbit, otherwise the shaft of the drillbit won't fit.
I made 6 holes for #80 (the smallest) through #78 bits, and then after that I drilled two holes for each of the drillbits. For some sizes I have two drillbits, for others the spare hole may come in handy. I did not do that for the really large drillbits, because I only have or need one of those. I also drilled a couple of holes for some masonry bits and a couple counter-sink bits.