I finally finished laying the code 40 rail all around the main line from where I left off in the previous report.
The center section of the layout is just scenery, so now that the mainline is in place, I can start building the terrain. I am using my favorite technique which is to use one-inch wide strips of cardboard. These are interwoven to form a web and held in place with hot-melt glue.
This web was covered with newspaper. I used some hot-melt glue to hold the newspaper in position.
I made a batch of plaster ("Plaster of Paris") and dipped strips of newspaper in the plaster. Draping them over the first layer of newspaper was all it took to get a nice shell. As the plaster started to harden up, without letting it go to waste, I dipped my finger in the mixture and spread it over the uncovered areas. Although newspaper is still visible, painting and scenicking the whole thing in the future will hide all that.