Bear Creek & Eastern - Progress Report - 2006-08 Report
08/20/2006
08/20/2006
The first spur's construction is another exercise in trying something I've never tried before. Actually, it's two things. First, I wanted to try another method of spline roadbed (one that isn't a solid block like the main line was), and two, building the entire sub-roadbed and track offline. I started by taking two sections of flextrack, soldering them together, and shaping them to the general shape I wanted for the spur (Micro Engineering flextrack keeps it shape, which is helpful here; you can't do that with Atlas' flextrack). I then went to the garage and cut two strips of pine (3/4" vertical, 1/4" thick). This photo shows the first piece being forced to take on the desired shape using clamps and a fulcrum board.
2006-08 Report
This method uses blocks of wood glued in between to connect the two strips of spline. This makes the sub-roadbed lighter.
2006-08 Report
Here is the finished sub-roadbed.
2006-08 Report
Some Midwest cork roadbed was glued directly to the spline.
2006-08 Report
And to the cork I glued the ties.
2006-08 Report
This overall photo shows where the first spur will be installed. You can see the turntable pointing to the spur's location, and I am gluing the sub-roadbed supports for the spur (see the orange-handled clamps).
2006-08 Report