I taped the turnout templates to the surface to help layout the track plan for this switching area.
One of the things I challenged myself to do is this concept of industrial track being lower than main line track, and how do I actually implement that. So, I made this switching area "table" a bit lower, and so I am now faced with how to deal with that. I cut a piece of flextrack and shaped it to the desired curve so that it matches the turntable track and the location of the first turnout. I started making the styrene sides of the elevation sub-roadbed.
I used the flextrack piece to mark and cut a piece of styrene that will become the bottom of this sloped area.
The next photo shows the parts installed.
I took a break from track work and decided to do some scenery work on the turntable area. I made some blobs of Sculptamold to add some vertical undulations to the otherwise flat surface. This photo shows me staining those blobs.
Letting the creative juices flow, I finished staining the blobs, and added some rocks and foam bushes to the area.
Here's a close-up of one of the spurs coming off of the turntable.
I completed the under-the-layout work of the turntable, so I wanted to dress the layout up a bit. I glued some Masonite board along the two visible fronts. It was a bit of a challenge to hold the panels in place while the glue set. However, as can be seen in this photo, tape is a great clamping tool!
After the glue set, I removed the tape and clamps. It looks like a nicely finished "box" now.
I also finally got around to completing the furniture factory diorama and put it in its place on the layout.
Here is an overall shot of the right-hand side of the layout as it stands today.
Back to working on the switching area track. Since the track work is on a "table", I can it down and work on it on my workbench.
I completed gluing all the ties to the non-turnout areas.
The turnouts are going to be controlled by Tortoise switch machines. I am wiring them up to the DS-44 accessory decoder by Digitrax. The decoder is attached, using Velcro®, to one of the table's legs.