I wanted to complete the basic scenery shell on the right-hand side of the layout. I started by filling in the open areas with cardboard webbing.
I also put that in between the main line and the spur in the back and the switching area in the front.
Before closing everything up, I made sure the lights in the furniture factory were hooked up and working.
I installed a switch to turn on/off the light by the turntable. Also some trees have appeared!
The front fascia panel for the switching area needs to be removable so that I can continue to work on the track and also troubleshoot problems in the future. I decided to install the fascia panel using simple door magnets found at the hardware store.
The matching metal bars are installed on the fascia panel.
And the magnets are installed under the switching area's "table".
There is also one on the fascia panel of the center section.
Here is a photo of the panel snapped into place. It immediately gives it a finished look. Note also that I installed a background Masonite board.
OK, back to the scenery shell. I glued newspaper over the cardboard webbing, and I am in the middle of applying Sculptamold over the newspaper.
As I applied the Sculptamold in the back, I pressed the two buildings into the material. This guarantees that the buildings' foundation appears sunken into the ground, because it is. However, it makes them impossible to remove! Some basic ground foam really dresses up the layout.
I added a country road leading to the furniture factory diorama in the back.
Here is an overview shot of the layout as it stands now.
The next project is to paint the front fascia panels. I first applied a coating of primer. I also repainted the backdrop panels, because I wasn't happy with the sky painting I had done before.
Next, I painted the panels my favorite dark green.
The end-of-the-month overall shot of the layout. It's looking quite nice, I think.