With the right-hand side and center section finished, it was time to pay attention to the third, and final, section, the left-hand side. I moved some cabinets in place to provide support for that section. I then started to think about what I would like to do as far as track design was concerned.
No matter what I came up with, it all seemed limited because of what I had already done in the center section. Also, the center section's track was giving me problems. So, one day I got the radical idea of just ripping it out. I cut the mainline just to the left of the furniture factory, and removed everything else.
I got rid of the workbench under the layout in the center section, so I had to come with another idea for the benchwork. The idea was to build a light version of the L-girder benchwork method. I glued some 3/4" plywood strips to the backdrop Masonite boards remaining from the first version.
I cut another Masonite board with some scenic curves on the top, and also glued 3/4" strips of plywood to its back. It is balanced between the two bookcase cabinets.
Next, I cut some 1/4" plywood boards to act as the benchwork base. It is all very nice and light.
I drilled some holes into the boards before gluing them in place to hold the DCC and accessories bus lines. By now I had become convinced that bus lines should be "naked" so that they are easy to solder feeder wires to.
I also moved the main on/off button from the old front fascia to a board that now hides under the bottom of the layout.
Here's a bottom-up view.