Crystal Creek Module - Progress Report - 2005-02 Report
02/23/2005
02/23/2005
Of the eight crossings over the two creeks, seven will be covered with fake plate girder bridges. These represent ballasted bridges, so I need to make them first before I can put down the ties and the ballast. I have captured how I built these on the Plate Girder Bridge page.
2005-02 Report
For the one remaining bridge I had initially put two large drainage pipes down, but I changed my mind in favor of a skewed concrete culvert. The next photo shows this culvert (unpainted). It was made out of 0.040" styrene. The measurements came from whatever it took to make it fit within the creek.
2005-02 Report
After completing the culvert, I painted the under side and the top, exposed edges with Floquil Concrete paint. After that was dry, I glued the bridge to the module using 5-minute epoxy glue.
2005-02 Report
I used Sculptamold to form the sub-roadbed edges along all the track, and around the inside edges of the creeks. Extra Sculptamold was put around the areas where turnout ties need to go. When it is all sanded smooth, painted, and covered with ties and ballast, you should not be able to see any differences in surface textures used.
2005-02 Report
I sanded down the entire sub-roadbed surface, including the Sculptamold, cleaned it all up and repainted the entire surface with the same tan paint.
2005-02 Report
I marked off where the outside of the long throw bar ties are to be mounted. Not shown in the next photo, I drilled 1/4" holes in the middle of the sub-roadbed where the turnout controls are going to be. The actuator rod of the Tortoises will protrude through there and be connected to the turnout's throw bar.
2005-02 Report
You can make out the 1/4" holes in the next photo. Next, I decided to give the module some color by covering the non-track areas with a couple of different colors of ground foam by Woodland Scenics. It gives it a more completed look even though it has no track yet. To accomplish this, I covered the surface (small sections at a time) with diluted white glue (50% glue, 50% water), applied with a cheap foam brush. Before the glue dried, I sprinkled brown and various shades of green of the ground foam. I let it dry overnight and vacuumed up the loose foam the next day.
2005-02 Report
I am making steady progress with laying the ties (a little over 25% done). You'll notice that some of them are stained and others are not. This is because I started with a collection of ties that were already stained. Normally I don't stain the ties beforehand.
2005-02 Report