After installing the remaining flextrack from the helix to the rest of the layout, I ballasted most of the visible area of the track on the top rung of the helix.
The purpose of the helix was to be able to build a storage yard below the layout. The storage yard will allow me to bring up all the equipment I want to run.
This view shows the rough shape of the plywood sheet for this yard. First, I needed to make cut-outs for the brackets used to hold the layout up.
I built a basic frame work out of plywood, and then cut the top sheet to fit that frame. Both have been installed now.
At the bottom of the helix, I am dry-fitting a piece of 1/4" luaun board that provides the track support to the yard section you see in the background.
Next, I put down some AMI Roadbed and more flextrack to try out the concept.
Before doing the track work, I glued down a large sheet of cork. It is a yard, so there is no need for roadbed sloping.
Another revision of sections of the layout. The idea is to introduce more vertical separations. I cut the main sheet for this area up into pieces to force this separation.
I then attached each piece back to the benchwork. All gaps will be filled with plaster cloth and Sculptamold.
Next, was re-installing the front fascia board.
This is the small area in between the helix and the smaller river. It also has some vertical separation in it.