P & C Railroad Version 3 - Progress Report - 2001-07 Report
07/28/2001
07/28/2001
I liked how that looked, so I just kept going. I covered the edges of the river so that the glue being sprayed on the land wouldn't hurt the river base. I also, of course, covered the existing track. Also note that I painted a rough outline of distant mountains behind the 3D mountains.
2001-07 Report
Using some rock mold I had bought, I created some rock castings and glued them to the mountain area covering the door opening.
2001-07 Report
Here is an updated overall view of the mountain area with lots of green foam applied.
2001-07 Report
A different angle shows the track and river clearly. It's starting to look like something now.
2001-07 Report
From watching one of Allen Keller's videos (Hooch Junction), I learned about using spray paint to weather the track. This photo shows a close-up of what the track looks like. I used primer brown and flat black ($1.00 each at K-Mart). It smells, it sprays everywhere, and it takes some elbow grease to clean the tops of the track, but, boy, does it look good!
2001-07 Report
I've added some more background mountains to the backdrop.
2001-07 Report
The mainline is open for business now.
2001-07 Report
I installed a tunnel portal on this side of the mountain. It is a hydrocal casting I bought at the hobby store. I cleared out the opening of the tunnel to make this portal fit, and then added some filler, which I painted the same brown color to make it look like it blended in.
2001-07 Report
The Kato PA engines are among my favorites. They run beautifully. I just couldn't resist including this shot of the engine in some nice, basic scenery.
2001-07 Report
On the other side of the mountain work continues as well. I've installed cardboard webbing between the backdrop and the back tracks.
2001-07 Report
Here's a view of the rest of the area.
2001-07 Report
Much like I did with the mountain, I covered the area with plaster cloth.
2001-07 Report
By now I had concluded that the Diamond Scale turntable was way over my head. I abandoned the idea. I cut a new sheet of plywood to fit the benchwork. I am trying out some ideas here to see how I might like the track to look.
2001-07 Report
I covered the recently applied plaster cloth with my standard brown paint and then applied the ground foam.
2001-07 Report
Here's another view.
2001-07 Report
With that done, I could concentrate on the front-of-the-track area. I am installing some plywood sheet supports here.
2001-07 Report
I transferred the track plan I designed in the CAD program to the plywood sheet.
2001-07 Report
Here's you can see the process. Note that I also included the benchwork supports in the CAD drawing so that I could make I didn't put a turnout throwbar right over one of the boards.
2001-07 Report