P & C Railroad Version 4 - Progress Report - 2003-02 Report
02/27/2003
02/27/2003
If you have read the P & C RR version 3 pages, you'll know that it had to come down first before I could start this one. Taking the layout down took four days. The only thing I kept was the helix. I kept it because I was trying to think of ways to integrate it into the new layout.
2003-02 Report
Remnants of the P & C RR #3 are still visible on the walls. This shows the room's entrance.
2003-02 Report
As described in the Design page, the plan my wife and I came up with was to take out the wall that is shared between the closets of the two adjoining bedrooms. My bass guitar is in front of the wall to be removed.
2003-02 Report
On the other side of that wall is part of the master bedroom. The closet is visible on the left. What you see in this photo will be second room of the layout space after the remodel.
2003-02 Report
Back to the first room. I had previously trimmed out the closet for the P & C RR #3 (we had removed the closet doors).
2003-02 Report
Well, that closet wall had to go now too. After making sure the wall was not a load-bearing wall, I started removing the sheetrock and eventually the boards you see in this next photo.
2003-02 Report
I was then able to remove the wall between the two closets. This was not an easy project, especially since I wanted to limit the amount of damage I did to the rest of the walls.
2003-02 Report
The closet in the master bedroom needed to have its walls removed as well (note that this is not the main master bedroom closet; we just hung our winter coats in this secondary closet).
2003-02 Report
Well, after trying everything I could think of, I just couldn't justify integrating the previous layout's helix into the new plan. It took up too much space. Also, due to my lower back problems, I really can't handle double-deck layouts. My next plan was to try to sell the helix to someone who could use it. It was in great shape and I had built it to be a self-contained unit. A local model railroad store owner was interested in it, but he, too, eventually decided against it due to the space that it takes up. A friend of mine was thinking about getting it to integrate into a new section of his layout, but he too couldn't justify the space. With a heavy heart, I had to dismantle it and send it on its journey to the landfill. Our cat, Precious, is checking out the clean, empty room.
2003-02 Report
The next job was to remove the carpeting. I wanted to have painted concrete floors. It eliminates the sagging/sinking of the cabinets I plan to build.
2003-02 Report
Here's the new main room. The small step stool in the back corner is where the room's closet was.
2003-02 Report
Here is the view from the master bedroom. You can see a little bit of the step stool in the back. The carpeting was removed here as well, while leaving it alone in the master bedroom itself. The last thing I did was take down all the base boards and the rooms' lights.
2003-02 Report