The PRR Chartiers Branch - Progress Report - 2009-03 Report
03/30/2009
03/30/2009
With the first bridge completed last month, I could now continue laying rails from the left-hand side of the layout into the center section. I couldn't wait to test running the engine onto the scratchbuilt bridge.
2009-03 Report
Half of the track in the center section is finished. I purposely wanted to have this S-curve in the layout.
2009-03 Report
The second half of the center section of the layout is next. I just finished removing the sub-roadbed foam from this section.
2009-03 Report
While I was at it, I also removed the foam from the right-hand side of the layout.
2009-03 Report
I then proceeded to install custom-cut sections of ceiling tiles for the sub-roadbed.
2009-03 Report
This photo shows the sub-roadbed finished with the ceiling tile painted. I also cut out the ceiling tile in the space that will have the second bridge covering the creek (see the upper left corner of the next photo).
2009-03 Report
I went back to the first bridge and installed the bridge's guard rails. This section of my layout has a very tight curvature, so the bridge's guard rails took a bit of experimenting to get them to sit just right.
2009-03 Report
The ties, ballast, and rails are finished in the second half of the center section too. I also installed the bridge abutments for the second bridge.
2009-03 Report
The abutments are now stained and weathered.
2009-03 Report