The PRR Chartiers Branch - Progress Report - 2010-07 Report
07/31/2010
07/31/2010
I needed an extra three inches of space for the spur on the left-hand side of the layout so that I could fit an engine and a 40-foot car on that spur. The extra three inches were created in the form of a trestle extension bridge (see my article on how I built it). That spur is also my DCC programming track, so the rails that are on the bridge needed some special wiring, too. The bridge had to be built and be put in place before I could work on the creek itself.
2010-07 Report
The creek that I have planned spans the two center modules. I decided that the vertical edge boards of the modules' base needed to be shaped such that the creek flowed smoothly between them.
2010-07 Report
Similarly, I hadn't dealt with the DCC wires that now "span" the creek, so now is the time to deal with them.
2010-07 Report
I decided to cut them away, and run some new wires (not shown in the photo below) from each end around the back (behind the bridge abutments).
2010-07 Report
I covered the section between the two modules with some plaster, adjusted the location of some of the DCC bus wire wooden blocks, and scraped the bottom of the module bases clean of debris (this has been my work bench area for two years now!).
2010-07 Report
I trimmed a bunch of cardboard strips (half of a box), and I'm now ready to start the scenery base in the center section of the layout from the track to the front of the layout.
2010-07 Report
The cardboard webbing is now complete.
2010-07 Report
This next photo shows the right half of the center section also ready for the scenery base.
2010-07 Report
I spent a few days applying the plaster cloth followed by the ground goop on to the cardboard webbing. I followed the exact some procedure I did in the section behind the track. That way the two sections look alike.
2010-07 Report
Here's a view from a different angle.
2010-07 Report
I took this photo just to remind me of how the wiring was done in this section. You can see where I wrapped the scenery base around the barrier strip I used to connect the wires for the bridge extension.
2010-07 Report
I spent a few days mucking around with the new scenery area. I painted the rock outcroppings, applied all kinds of ground foam, crushed tea leaves, india ink alcohol, and some more paint to get to this stage. I got it to look like the older scenery area on the other side of the track. These two photos show the results. It is now time to start working on the creek. I believe in working from the back to the front, and from the bottom on up on model railroads. I completed the back-to-front scenery base, so now it is time to work from the bottom on up. I cleaned the creek bottom and then applied two coats of black latex paint.
2010-07 Report
It is starting to look like something.
2010-07 Report