The PRR Chartiers Branch - Progress Report - 2014-06 Report
06/25/2014
06/25/2014
My, how time flies! It is hard to believe it has been four months since my last update to this section of my web site. The Canonsburg Milling factory now has a bit more life to it.
2014-06 Report
Of course, I've been making lots of progress. I have built a new building. The big change is that I decided to not finish building the Canonsburg passenger station. I still want to build that structure, but it is just too much for me to do right now. Given what amount of time I have to work on the layout, doing justice to that structure would probably take me 6 months or more. So, instead I found a prototype photo of the back of a set of buildings in or near Canonsburg. I scratch-built one of them. I am getting ready to install it on the layout in the photo below. I glued two blocks of wood to raise the building up a bit. I then glued the building to those blocks. The structure is not glued to the backdrop, because that is supposed to be removable.
2014-06 Report
I then mixed up several batches of "ground goop" (minus the paint color; couldn't find the paint can), and buried the building's foundation into the ground. To the left of the building is a portion of a small parking lot for the Canonsburg Milling factory employees. After applying the Sculptamold, I put a sheet of styrene on it. The vehicles serve as weight while the material sets.
2014-06 Report
The next day I painted the ground, and while the paint was still wet, I sprinkled Woodland Scenics blended turf. I also painted the parking lot with Polly Scale's "Concrete", which matches the paint I used for the Canonsburg Milling building's foundation.
2014-06 Report
On a spur-of-the-moment I decided to apply some weathering powders to the building. After all, it is sitting right next to the tracks.
2014-06 Report
I thought you might like to see my modeling space. This is it! I have a pull-out shelf built into one of the cabinets. I measures about 24 inches wide by 15 inches deep. I recently learned about the trick to use something white to help with some of the tasks. I cut a piece of a sheet and placed it on the shelf. I am working with Sergent couplers here and that makes it easy to find the tiny parts. The light is also scratch-built using LEDs (see my article).
2014-06 Report
External Reference:
Tom Henderson of Sidetracks sent me a pair of NJ International crossing gates. I want to fully automate these, but it will be some time before I get around to building the detection circuits and connect that to the mechanism that will work the arms. So, rather than have them sit in a drawer somewhere, I decided to install them on the layout. Neither the LEDs nor the mechanisms are connected. I lightly glued them to the layout using Aleene's Tack Glue, so when it is time to work on them, I can just break them off without any damage. The one in the photo below was placed on the scenery that I just built, so that one was easy.
2014-06 Report
The other one had to go into scenery that I had done a while back. I decided to clear a small section of the scenery base, and then glue a block of wood in place.
2014-06 Report
I then drilled a hole in that block of wood, and routed the wires through the hole, and then glued the crossing gate to the block of wood. A bit of paint and some scenery will hide the block. The gates are permanently in their down position, but then again, I do operate my layout frequently!
2014-06 Report