The PRR Chartiers Branch - Progress Report - 2015-03 Report
03/19/2015
03/19/2015
Exactly three years ago I built and installed a two-foot bridge that connected the main layout to a 2'x4' module that I had installed into the room's closet. However, late last year, due to some rearranging in the household, I needed the closet space back for what it was originally intended: to hold "stuff". The module had to go. That meant there was no place on which to rest the other end of the two-foot extension bridge. However, that bridge is essential to the operations of my layout. As you can see in the next photo, the engine sits on a turnout that is part of a run-around track arrangement that allows me to do switching work in this side of the layout. Without the two-foot extension, the engine can't clear the turnout.
2015-03 Report
After pondering this issue from time to time, I had several ideas pop in my head. I evaluated their pros and cons, but eventually settled on the one you see in these photos. I am using some fairly heavy chain leftover from another project in the garage which holds up the free-floating end of the bridge in mid-air.
2015-03 Report
I pre-drilled two holes and then installed one-inch long screws into the plywood base from which this bridge is made. The screws went through the rung of the chain as it was installed. The chain cannot be removed unless the screw is removed from the plywood.
2015-03 Report
I put two of the same screws into the closet door's header. The excess chain is just draped in between. Using two screws allowed me to balance the bridge. On the layout side, the bridge rests on the pedestal I had made before, so there is no change there. The rail has metal railjoiners keeping the rails aligned. The bridge can be removed from the layout side and then just hang down from the screws. This makes it possible to move it out of the way should I need access to the area. I mounted the two screws at the top a bit farther apart than the screws of the bridge, to provide a way to fight any lateral sway the bridge might experience. So far the idea is working well, and I am back to being able to operate my layout again.
2015-03 Report