The PRR Chartiers Branch - Progress Report - 2015-08 Report
08/21/2015
08/21/2015
Continuing where I left off last month, I decided to build the surface upon which the building sits from styrene sheet. I cleared out more of the original scenery, and put this mock-up together. If you are interested in seeing how I built this structure, see the Raiser Sharp Barber Shop page.
2015-08 Report
I wanted to have a sidewalk in front of the store, and a space for customers to parallel-park in front. I marked off these features, and then cut a hole to provide plenty of space for the turnout mechanism to roam.
2015-08 Report
Just using this one sheet of styrene appears to be enough to clear the wooden block of the turnout's mechanism, as seen by the light shining through underneath the building.
2015-08 Report
I also noticed that the sheet of styrene sat at a slope, so I grabbed some strip styrene to make it such that the surface would be level.
2015-08 Report
To be safe, I decided to add a 0.060" styrene sheet on top of the bottom 0.040" sheet. That way there is no interference. You may also note the curved top edge of the section that will be the sidewalk. I filed that round as best I could.
2015-08 Report
However, since the interior of the building is going to be modeled (eventually), I need a solid floor with no clearance-hole in it. So, I added another sheet of 0.020" styrene to represent the concrete foundation of the building and its immediate surroundings. All of this styrene was glued together and forms a nice, solid base for the structure.
2015-08 Report
The next issue I had to ponder was how to get all of the electronics fed into the building. The Miller Engineering animated barber shop light system consists of a multi-stranded cable running from the circuit board to the sign. The board is fed by a 3-pack of AAA batteries (for now). That, of course, would leave a large hole to feed that all through. So, instead, I decided to cut a slit in the styrene in the back of the building.
2015-08 Report
I could then feed the cable through the slid. I made it slightly wider where the cable actually enters the building. This, as was shown in the previous photo, is right by the backdoor. I will need to hide that eventually (probably a wall that hides the employees' room from the main customer area of the lower floor). This area would also have the stairs going up to the owner's private rooms upstairs. This view shows how the cable is routed through the slit. Until the interior is all finished, I will leave the styrene base loose, so that I can lift it up.
2015-08 Report
Here's the view of the interior with the cable going up to the top floor.
2015-08 Report
I then painted the road surface with Poly Scale's "UP Harbor Mist Gray" to attempt to match the road surface, and the sidewalk and the concrete foundation were painted with Poly Scale's "Aged Concrete". Before I painted the sidewalk, I had carved the concrete section lines with a dental pick. These are hard to see now, but later, when the surface is properly weathered, they should be more visible. Eventually the building will be glued to the styrene sheet, but for now I'll leave it loose so that I can work on the interior later on.
2015-08 Report
Here you can see the slit in the back by the back door. There will be all sorts of scenic elements added once the building is finished to fully integrate this styrene base with the surrounding scenery.
2015-08 Report