PRR Chartiers Branch - Interchange
03/05/2016

Pittsburgh & West Virginia

The Pittsburgh & West Virginia Railroad connected to the Bridgeville & McDonald Branch just outside of Bridgeville.

Norfolk & Western

At Bridgeville the PRR interchanged traffic with the Norfolk & Western.

Montour Railroad

External Reference:
In 1946 the Pennsylvania Railroad and the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie railroad (a subsidiary of the New York Central RR) became co-owners of the coal-hauler the Montour Railroad. At Hills, PA (just north of Canonsburg) the Montour interchange provided lots of coal to the Chartiers Branch. The Montour RR also interchanged traffic at McDonald with the PRR. The Montour RR had about 40 miles of track that roughly circled the west side of Pittsburgh, PA. It used 2-8-0 and 2-8-2 steam engines, which were later replaced by the 1200hp SW9 EMD diesel engines. The linked-to web site is also a great reference for seeing how the Chartiers Branch ties into the Montour and other railroads. The book "Mid-Sized and Manageable Track Plans" by Iain Rice describes how to build a 12'x12' HO-scale layout based on the Montour, which includes several prototype photos.

Baltimore & Ohio

The Chartiers Branch connected with the Tylerdale Connecting RR at Tylerdale, PA (north-west of Washington, PA). This line was co-owned by the PRR and the Baltimore & Ohio. It provided an interchange with the B&O and was a tremendous source of coal transportation.

Waynesburg & Washington

At Washington, PA, the Chartiers Branch connected with the PRR-owned Waynesburg & Washington RR, which was a narrow gauge line until 1944 when it was upgraded to standard gauge. According to an article in The Pittsburgh Press, the lines' last passenger train stopped on July 9, 1929. What made even more of a headline was the fact that the conductor of that train died as he stepped off of the train. The doctors blamed it on a broken heart because he was a W&W conductor for 31 years, and he simply was overwhelmed by all the support the people showed when the train ran for the last time. The line later became known as the "Waynesburg Secondary". (source of photo from prr_panhandle_pa Yahoo! group contribution)
Interchange