Hazel Mine Tipple - Prototype
02/12/2018
External Reference:
This was a coal mine located in southeast Canonsburg, Pennsylvania. The tipple and its associated facilities were located on the north side of the Chartier Creek, while the mine entrance of this slope mine was located on the south side of the Creek (under Buffalo Hill). So, the tipple was in Canonsburg, while the mine itself was under the North Strabane Township. The incline was built across the Creek. The photo (or illustration) below was taken in 1900 or 1901 when the tipple was completed as originally designed (it was extended to the right the following year).
Hazel Mine Tipple
Below is a timeline of the mine and its tipple. The principal source of this data was the May 2001 issue of the Jefferson College Times magazine, in an article by James T. Herron.

1900
- James Jones & Sons, via the Pittsburg & Buffalo Company, bought the land and the rights.
- construction of the mine and railroad tracks started immediately.
- the first load of coal came out of the mine on October 20th.
- only one track was operational.
- Fort Pitt Bridge Works (next door) was still building the tipple structure.

1901
- new boilers were added to provide the electricity required to run the facility.
- the official opening was in July.
- the mine was called Hazel (all Pittsburg & Buffalo Company mines had female names).

1902
- a 60-foot extension is added over the fifth track, to expand the tipple's productivity.

1904
- the tipple filled 100 train cars per day.
- Pittsburg & Buffalo Company bought their own locomotive to handle the switching.

1908
- Pittsburg & Buffalo Company bought their own hopper cars to handle the volume between all their mines.

1911
- March 22: a motor car jumped the track collapsing a portion of the roof, killing 9 miners.
- the mine was closed until all were buried.

1913
- considered the heyday of the mine.

1915
- deeply in debt, the Pittsburg & Buffalo Company's assets were bought by the bank on July 15.
- the mine was shut down in August.

1916
- Union Coal & Coke Company bought the mine and started repairing it.
- the company sold the mine to Chartiers Creek Coal Company.
- Chartiers Creek Coal Company re-opened the mine in April, under the new name "Buffalo Mine".

1917
- World War I required the mine to be fully operational.

1922
- A strike at the mine lasted for 6 months.

1927
- the United Mine Workers union created an area-wide strike.
- the union lost, and there was no union activity until 1933.

1929
- three fires at the facility, with the one in September badly damaging the tipple.
- a temporary tipple was constructed to continue operations.
- the Chartiers Creek Coal Company was in a state of receivership after the fire.

1931
- yet another strike.
- a fire broke out in August inside the mine due to a trolley wire short-circuit.

1933
- the mine was using West Penn Power Company's electricity.
- Standard Tin Plate Company (owned by Continental Can Company) won the court bid and bought the mine.
- Canonsburg Coal Company was formed to oversee the rebuilding of the mine.

1934
- the tipple was extensively rebuilt, including a new brick office building.
- the "Philadelphia Patch" miners' housing was rebuilt, one house at a time.

1935
- photographic evidence shows the enginehouse on the facilities as being gone.

1936
- 212,000 tons produced (216 employees worked 252 days).

1939
- photographic evidence shows the demolished company houses on Buffalo Hill.

1941
- Continental Can Company sold Standard Tin Plate Company, and thus Buffalo mine, to Carnegie-Illinois Steel Corporation (owned by United States Steel Corporation).
Hazel Mine Tipple