Home Page
PRR Chartiers Branch
The Layout
My Library
Site Map

Peter's Model Railroading | Articles | Automobiles | Dodge
1949 Dodge 100 Kew Tray Truck


The Railmaster Exports has S-scale pewter metal truck kits that they label as "Dodge DeSoto" trucks. They actually closely match the 1949-built Dodge 100 "Kew" trucks, which were Dodge trucks built in the Kew district of London, England. In 2011 I bought a couple of these from a friend who was switching to another scale. This is an article about how I built the Railmaster R222 kit "Dodge Truck With Tray". The photo shows the kit in its original packaging, as I bought it in like-new condition in 2011.
(external link: Railmaster Exports)

This photo shows the glued-up sub-assemblies I have prepared and washed, ready for primer. The bed needed to be glued to the underframe. There is no positive indent for it, so I had to eye-ball it, as compared to where the cab would sit on the frame. All assembly was done using superglue, and after all of the flash had been removed and filed off. I washed the parts with water and dishwashing soap, in preparation for the next step.
(external link: Prototype Info)

All the parts have had Vallejo Black Primer (#74.602) applied to them. The wheels and tires have had a paint layer applied, as well as the "wooden" bed.

This photo shows the installation of the wheels. The axle lengths that need to be cut from the provided brass round stock was a bit of a guess. Luckily I guessed right; not too long nor too short. After routing the round stock through the openings in the frame, I applied gel superglue to their ends and pushed the wheels onto them. I tried to keep the wheels as straight as possible when the glue set.

This particular kit did not come with an interior part, but one of the other kits of this car I had bought, did, so I used it as a go-by to scratchbuild an interior matching the same shape and size. I painted it black, except for the bench seat which I painted with Delta Ceramcoat "Jubilee Green". I used some very thin clear plastic sheet to form the individual windows. That is very difficult to do, because nearly each of the window openings are slightly curved and oddly shaped. Once the "glass" was finished, I was able to glue the interior into the cab, and then glue the cab to the frame. I used superglue for both acts. This photo shows the final model. I do not plan to do anything else to this model, as it doesn't fit my layout's era, so it will just sit on a display shelf.