1902 through 1913
Tuscan (freight-car red)
2D-F1 (archbar), later 2D-F2, 2D-F8
These cars were made out of pressed steel. They had wood decking. The PRR flat car decking was usually made out of unpainted, untreated oak wood. Initially, a vertical brake wheel was found on both ends, but eventually one was removed.
Prototype photos of the plain car are hard to find. There are, however, quite a few photos of the cars modified to carry less-than-carload (LCL) containers. These had brackets installed on the ends, and the stake pockets removed. Starting in the late-1920s, some of these cars were converted into container service. In October 1950, the LCL container service was terminated, and all remaining flat cars were converted back to their original intent.