This area is well-known for the Mayview State Hospital. The large facility was opened in 1893 to hold staff, poor people, and the mentally ill. In 1916 is was renamed the Pittsburgh City Home and Hospital. Note that back in those days anyone that was "undesirable" was often declared mentally ill, and therefore removed from society to live in this facility. This is why this facility's name if often preceded by the word "infamous". It was closed at the end of 2008.
There was a power house served by the Chartiers branch for this multi-building facility.