At the passenger station in Washington, PA, the Chartiers Branch connected with the PRR-owned Waynesburg & Washington RR, which was a narrow-gauge line until 1944, when it was upgraded to standard gauge. The line later became known as the "Waynesburg Secondary". While it was a narrow-gauge line, passengers had to disembark at the station to switch to the other train.
According to an article in The Pittsburgh Press, the lines' last passenger train stopped on July 9, 1929. What made even more of a headline was the fact that the conductor of that train died as he stepped off of the train. The doctors blamed it on a broken heart because he was a W&W conductor for 31 years, and he simply was overwhelmed by all the support the people showed when the train ran for the last time.